Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Site news

So, the gallery is pretty well complete. I should still receive some screencaps from Ryan though. I'm also thrilled to say that I've talked to Tom Flannery, Jason's friend, and I'm going to do an interview with him! Now I have to think of good questions... I'm near giddy about it! Here are some touching and heartwarming words from him. Endless thanks for your participation, Tom.

Remembering Jason Miller

Jason Miller was my mentor. He was the first to say that I had the ability to become a successful playwright. Yet when Jason offered support, it was frequently more than verbal....so he offered to direct my play, "The Driveway". During the course of the production, we became good friends, and I'll always remember those days picking up the phone and hearing that gravely, poetic voice..."Thomas", he'd say in a low rumble. "Jason here..." I felt like a child at the foot of the master, which indeed I was. I loved every minute of it.

I remember going out on my front porch and calling for my wife in the yard to tell her that Jason was my director. I was using the porch railing as leverage to jump up and down, higher and higher, until she began to think I was having some sort of bizarre fit. "No", I yelped to her. "Guess who is going to direct my play?" She didn't believe me. She finally got to meet him opening night. As she was setting up the reception area for the post show party, Jason ambled over, introduced himself, and pointed to some filled glasses and asked..."hello Darling. Is this wine?" Perfect.

During rehearsals I remember mentioning how I loved Hal Holbrook's portrayal of Mark Twain in perhaps the greatest one man show in theatrical history, "Mark Twain Tonight". Jason agreed and casually offered to call Holbrook and ask him for any assistance that we may require. I had forgotten that I was dealing with Jason Miller, the only man in history to win a Pulitzer and be nominated for an Academy Award. People with resume's like this are allowed to call Hal Holbrook on the phone. I just stuttered and said..."um, yea, that's good to know."

As it turned out, "The Driveway" was Jason's last production. He died in May of 2001, and when I got the news, I hung my head and sobbed. While those of us who knew him were aware that Jason loved life, we also knew too well the side of him that may have loved it too much. He was in turn a poetic, lovable, disheveled Irish rogue with a twinkle in his eye, who could infuriate and then lift your spirits all while sipping the same drink...and the most down to earth, most generous man I have ever known.

We spent many hours talking, and I remember him telling me about his mother, whom he adored. The burning intensity in his eyes as he described this woman was spellbinding. Tears welled up in his eyes as he told me of her funeral...and how he did not want to let go. His hands had to be literally pried away from her.

Well now I know he is back in her arms again, where I know he feels safe. And we are left with his gorgeous words on paper, and his searing image on screen. But some of us are left with even more than that.

No comments: